Michigan Swimmer's Itch Partnership is a coalition of lake associations, formed in 2014 to reduce the incidence of swimmer's itch in our lakes
We work together with lake associations to provide leadership in Michigan to address swimmer’s itch through effective, comprehensive, science-based control programs, development and testing of preventive measures such as lotions and clothing, education, general research.
WHAT WE DO
1) Educate members of our lake associations, state and local government leaders, government regulators, businesses and the public about the importance of our lake resources in Michigan and the serious adverse impacts of swimmer’s itch.
2) Bring together and provide strong leadership for lake associations in Michigan, state and local government leaders, government regulators, businesses and the public to address the critical problem of swimmer’s itch.
3) Advance the state-of-the-art of swimmer’s itch science for control programs, prevention and research.
4) Act as a one stop resource and provide information to lake associations in Michigan for swimmer’s itch control programs, prevention and research.
What We've Achieved
- Created an association of lake associations who have banded together to combat swimmer's itch in Michigan.
- Held numerous conferences to present and discuss the most recent information about swimmer's itch. Conferences were attended by prominent scientists and researchers, control experts, lake associations and governmental officials.
- Assisted Lake Associations in determining the proper steps to take to reduce swimmer's itch in their lake..
- Connected Lake Associations with experts in the field who can perform necessary control work and research on their lake.
- Was instrumental in a 2016 State appropriation which will assist lake associations in funding their control and research efforts.
- Signed a working agreement with Tip of the Mitt Watershed Council, who acts as Fiduciary and Grantee on behalf of the MISIP.